Saturday, May 26, 2012

WEEK 10 SOAP CHALLENGE - landscape attempt #2

This soap attempt was a semi-fail I'm afraid.  I used a fragrance oil that caused my soap to accelerate almost immediately and I had to race to color and scoop, and by scoop I mean throw, the soap into a mold as quickly as possible. This is the first time this has happened to me, but I'm sure it won't be the last.  I've learned to read more about a fragrance before using it AND, if there's not much written, to know that I'm taking a chance because there are SO many variables.  I used a spoon technique with blue oxide, activated charcoal, sage mica and sunset mica.


Here's what I ended up with:


A bit rough around the edges and some air pockets - let's just call it "rustic"! 

 The cracking and pockets are more visible on this one. It's a shame because I like the terrain and mountain effect in this bar.

 Where'd the orange go?


Not a total flop, but not quite what I was shooting for either.  I'll cure these bars and try it again!

2 comments:

Carol said...

I seem to own a LOT of rustic soap these days! :-) I love your colors and I can see the scene totally!

Unknown said...

LOL Carol ! Rustic's my new favorite word. That crack on the top of the loaf? Rustic. The not-so-smooth edge? Rustic. Color not exactly as planned? You get the idea. You need a little imagination to see the landscape, but the thought process was there. Thanks for commenting !!! xx