Thursday, May 3, 2012

WEEK 7 SOAP CHALLENGE Gradient loaf

WEEK 7  Amy of Great Cakes Soapworks challenge

Gradient soap


Although the layers aren't distinct, overall I'm pretty happy with this loaf.  It's scented with white tea and ginger from Brambleberry at 1 oz for the entire 4 lb loaf, so it's a subtle fragrance that let's the clean smell of the ingredients shine through.  The color used was a coral mica, also from Brambleberry. I was going for a break of dawn look. I don't think I achieved that, but the final effect is still interesting to me.   I'm a beginning soaper, so my current "go-to" recipe is super slow to trace, giving me time to color and pour.  That works well for me  in most recipes, but was a little more difficult with this one. I thought the prior layers had set up, but obviously not. Live and learn !!  This is my first challenge week and I look forward to more.   Thanks, Amy!!  Your challenges give a newbie like me motivation and direction.    ~Suzy


To view more participant's work in this weeks challenge, please check out: 


Soap Challenge Week 7 link up













14 comments:

Natalia said...

Lovely soap!

Simple Pleasures Handmade Soap said...

These look great! I love the colour

Pam said...

Nice job and hey I see many many layers there! Pretty color too.

Unknown said...

Oh, thanks much!!

Unknown said...

Thank you !!

Unknown said...

Thanks! Maybe I'm just too critical, Pam.

Anonymous said...

Love the colors :)

Amy W said...

You did just fine, Suzy!! Nobody said the lines had to be perfect. :) It's a very lovely shade and I wish I had thought to scent my White Tea & Ginger soap lightly. I made one several years ago and it gave me a headache, so I've never been able to use the fragrance since.

lwal50 said...

Your soap is lovely, very pretty and the scent sounds gorgeous too, x Linda

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jennifer !

Unknown said...

Thank you, Linda! I learn more with each batch I think. I just need to take good notes and not repeat things that didn't work out for me. The scent is nice...one of my favorites....not overpowering if you use it in small amounts.

Amy@10th Ave. said...

I think your soap is just gorgeous! I am definitely going to get myself some coral mica now. I've never tried white tea and ginger but it sounds intriguing!

Unknown said...

Aw, thank you, Wisconsin!! I thought yours was beautiful too. So cool to find another midwestern soaper. What part of Wisconsin are you in? We're in Hudson and Somerset fairly often and I come from a long line of Packer's fans!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Amy ! This soap has darkened a LOT while curing and I'm afraid it's not a favorite anymore, but I do love the gradient look. Funny how some scents can just trigger an allergic reaction or a headache. Blue Man fragrance from Bramble Berry does that for me. I just can't use it anymore, even in small amounts. If you know of anyone looking to give it a try or in need of fragrances and short on purchasing power, let me know and I'll send it to them.
It's a shame there isn't a way to sniff a fragrance through the computer prior to purchasing!! Someday. ~Suzy